How long does it take to lose 15 pounds?
It takes about 2 – 4 months to lose 15 pounds. With a daily calorie defect of 1000, you can expect to lose 15 pounds in 2 months. With a daily caloric deficit of 500, expect to lose 15 pounds in 5 months.
This is in line with what most experts recommend for healthy weight loss. A slow and steady rate of losing 1 – 2 pounds every week.
However, keep in mind that results may vary as to how fast you lose weight is influenced by other factors such as your current weight and lifestyle. Having a realistic timeframe in mind when trying to lose 15 pounds makes the process easier.
This way, you can easily check to see if you’re on the right track or not. Also, it increases your willpower, it’s easier to lose weight when you know what to do, what to expect, and how soon to expect it.
Also, 2 – 4 months provides just enough time to make changes to your lifestyle. This way, you can lose 15 pounds and keep it off for good. While it is understandable to want to lose 15 pounds in a shorter period, it is not recommended.
You would need to make drastic changes that can put your health at risk. Instead of focusing on how long, focus on making the right changes for healthy weight loss.
Can you lose 15 pounds in a month?
Losing 15 pounds in amount is an ambitious goal that is not recommended for most people. To lose this amount of weight in 30 days requires a calorie deficit of 1750 daily.
Almost double the recommended rate at which experts recommend you aim to lose weight healthily. A more realistic timeline to have when trying to lose 15 pounds is between 2 – 4 months.
Also, a 1750 calorie deficit would be hard to maintain for most people. Even with the combined efforts of exercise and diet. With diet, you would need to cut at least 850 calories daily.
A severe reduction would leave you with little to survive on as most adults need to eat at least 2000 calories to maintain their weight. A reduction this high would feel too restrictive and make losing weight harder than it needs to be.
Also, you would need to spend at least 2-hours at the gym to burn off the extra 850 calories. With a severe calorie reduction, you will barely have enough energy to sustain an intense workout for long.
With these reasons in mind, it is clear to see why losing 15 pounds in a month, is an unrealistic goal. A more realistic goal to have when losing weight in a month is 4 – 8 pounds.
How to lose 15 pounds
Whether you have a special event coming up to just looking to lose weight. Losing 15 pounds sure feels like an achievement for most people. A good timeframe to have in mind with this kind of weight loss is anywhere from 2 – 4 months.
While losing weight can feel challenging, it doesn’t have to be with the right strategies. Remember, no matter the timeframe, the principles of weight loss remain the same.
That is, to lose 1 pound, you need a deficit of 3500. The best way to go about it is always with a combination of diet and exercise. Follow these steps to lose 15 pounds effortlessly.
- Aim for a daily calorie deficit of 500, to lose 15 pounds in 4 months.
- Aim for a deficit of 1000, to lose 15 pounds in 2 months.
- Eat at least 500 fewer calories. Reducing your food intake is a great way to jumpstart the weight loss process. Cut back on high-calorie foods that add no nutritional value such as sugar-filled beverages, snacks, etc. Focus on creating filling healthy meals full of veggies, protein, and fiber. This way, you stay full and satisfied even as you lose weight.
- Make time to exercise. Exercise isn’t just good for your health, but also for those trying to lose weight. Consider cardio exercise such as swimming, running, or jogging to burn fat fast. Incorporate weight training exercises to build muscle and boost metabolism.
- Find ways to stay active throughout the day. This is especially important for those with a desk job. Use strategies such as; parking away from the office, walking to-from work, or going for a walking lunch break.
If you find it challenging to prepare quick and healthy fresh meals, consider HelloFresh: America’s Most Popular Meal Kit ($80 Off including Free Shipping on First Box!)
How long does it take to lose 15 pounds?
It tasks about 2 – 4 months to lose 15 pounds. This is in line with what the CDC (center for disease control and prevention) recommends. A healthy weight loss rate of losing 1 – 2 pounds weekly.
However, keep in mind that results may vary, as factors such as current weight, lifestyle, and gender can affect how fast you lose weight.
Pssst, want to lose weight? Use my small weight loss handbook. I share with you how I lost 70 pounds in 5-months and how you can too, or get yourself this handy 12-week (226-page) fitness planner for $7.99