Is the paleo diet a healthy way to eat? The paleo diet is based on the dietary habits of what our hunter-gather ancestors ate thousands of years ago.
The diet focuses on only eating whole foods that you can hunt, fish, gather or pick
This was how our ancestors got their food for years before the start of the farming era. It is for this reason that foods that were introduced during the farming era are not allowed on this diet namely legumes and cereals.
The reasoning is that human genetics have not fully adapted to modern eating habits. They argue that this has contributed to the prevalence of lifestyle diseases.
Proponents of this diet argue that following this diet can lead to a reduced risk of diseases. In addition to only eating whole foods, the diet also calls for daily physical activities just like our ancestors did.
The diet is known as the caveman diet or stone-age diet.
In this article, we explore the basic principles of the diet, foods on the diet, and how it can help you lose weight;
- 1 Basic principles of the diet
- 2 Sample meal plan
- 3 What you need to do on the paleo diet for weight loss
- 4 Ways the paleo diet can help you lose weight
- 5 Conclusion
Basic principles of the diet
What to eat on the paleo diet
- Meat: Beef, chicken, lamb, port, poison
- Fish: Salmon, shrimp, trout, haddock
- Eggs: Organic free-range
- Fruits: Bananas, apples, avocados, strawberries, berries and more
- Vegetables: Broccoli, spinach, kale, onions, tomatoes, and more
- Nuts and seeds
- Herbs and spices
- Oils from nuts and seeds: Olive oil, walnut oil, flaxseed oils
- Sweeteners: Raw honey, raw maple sap, dates,
The idea is to always choose the least processed whole foods. Go for grass-fed organic meats, wild-caught fish and organic fruits and vegetables.
What not allowed on the diet
- Cereleas: Wheat, oats, rye, rice, barley, quinoa and more
- Legumes: beans, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, peas and more
- Dairy and dairy products
- Processed foods
- Refined sugars :
- Artificial sweeteners
- Sugary soft drinks and fruit juices
- Refined vegetable oils
- Starchy vegetables such as potatoes and sweet potatoes
A simple guideline: was it made in the factory? if it was, it’s not allowed on this diet
What to drink
- Herbal tea
- Black tea
- Coconut water
- Bobe broth
Sample meal plan
- Vegetable omelet fried with olive oil and Fruit.
- Leftover meat with vegetables
- Chicken salad with nuts
- lettuce sandwich with meat
- Pan-fried salmon with vegetables
- Steak with vegetables
Paleo diet snacks
- Handful of nuts
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Apple slices with cashew or almond butter
- Berries with whipped coconut cream
What you need to do on the paleo diet for weight loss
For many people, the simplicity of the diet helps them lose weight faster.
They don’t have to count macros or worry about carbs. The diet is based on whole foods and all meals include a good serving of proteins and vegetables
Both of which are essential for quick weight loss. If you’re trying to lose weight on this diet there are a few considerations;
- Clear your kitchen/pantry of ay tempting non-paleo foods
- Portion healthy fats such as nuts as they’re calorie-dense
Other than these few concerns, you should lose weight on the diet, eat when you’re hungry, and stop when you’re full.
Read more: How to lose weight fast
Ways the paleo diet can help you lose weight
1. Low in carbs
Diets low in carbs such as the paleo diet and ketogenic diet can help you lose weight fast and show results in as fast as a week. Carbs are not bad for you, the problem is most carbs are very calorie-dense
When you’re trying to lose weight limiting or avoiding carbs can help you achieve a caloric deficit fast. On this diet, most problematics carbs are not allowed such as bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes
2. High in proteins
Protein is one of the most essential macronutrients and the best way to tweak your diet for weight loss. Not only do they boost metabolism, but they also keep you full for longer and reduce your appetite.
For weight loss, this diet is very idle as all meals are centered on protein.
3. Eliminates added sugar
Added sugar is enemy number one when it comes to modern diets. You can’t miss to find it in almost all processed foods.
On this diet with the elimination of added sugar, you can lose the belly fat even faster
4. Eliminates processed foods
If it’s made in a factory, it’s not allowed on the paleo diet. This simple emphasis on eating whole foods ensures you’re always feeling satisfied after every meal.
5. Reduces the number of calories consumed
To lose weight you need to eat less to achieve a caloric deficit. For many people, this means struggling with portion control or counting macros.
However, on this diet, you’re guaranteed to eat less because you’re always eating quality whole foods. With every meal, you feel satisfied and stay full for longer.
The paleo diet is a diet based on the eating habits of hunter-gather ancestors. The idea is to only eat whole foods and avoid any form of processed foods.
The diet is not only healthy but can also help you lose weight effortlessly.
Paleo diet focuses on whole foods such as meat, fish fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, and oils such as olive oil.