- 1 Who is Dr. Now?
- 2 Why do patients go on the diet before surgery?
- 3 Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
- 4 Foods to eat on Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
- 5 Foods to avoid on the Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
- 6 Snack options
- 7 How much weight will you lose by eating 1200-calories daily?
- 8 Conclusions on the Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
- 9 Dr Nowzaradan diet plan
Who is Dr. Now?
If you have watched TLC my 600lb life, then you’ve probably heard of Dr. Younan Nowzaradan also know as Dr. Now to many of his patients.
Dr. Now is a practicing surgeon from Houston, Texas who rose to fame as one of the main characters on My 600lb life
As a specialist in bariatric surgery. He works with morbidly obese patients and has been known to take in all types of patients. Even those who have already been rejected by other doctors.
This and his tough-love attitude have made him a beloved part of the show.
Even though many of his patients come to see him expecting to get weight loss surgery, that’s not his only approach. He helps patients live healthier lifestyles through not just surgery but also a strict diet, and exercise plan.
Because diet is the major determining factor when it comes to weight loss. He came up with his own custom 1200-calorie diet also know as Dr. Now diet.
Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
Why do patients go on the diet before surgery?
Known for taking on morbidly obese patients this means more risks and complications are involved.
It is for this reason that the doctor requires all his patients to take on the 1200-calorie diet before surgery. Not just to reduce risk but also to prepare them psychologically.
For many of us, weight loss surgery sounds like the perfect solution to losing weight fast. However, as a trained doctor with over 30-years of experience, Dr. Now knows that’s only one part of the struggle.
The 1200-calorie diet not only reduces the risk associated with having surgery. But also allows his patients to get used to eating less than they normally would for weight loss.
Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
The main goal of the diet is to help patients cut calories fast to lose weight.
Because his patients are morbidly obese, he came up with a 1200-calories a day plan also known as the Dr. Nowzaradan diet to help his patients get started with weight loss.
While the diet is very low in calories, it’s rich in protein foods and other nutrients as it doesn’t exclude any food groups except sugar.
While for many people eating a 1200-calorie diet might seem extreme for many of his patients who are morbidly obese, cutting calories is the only way they can lose weight.
It’s also important to note that each of his patients receives a customized meal plan specific to their needs. However, we do know what foods are allowed and those not allowed on the diet.
Foods to eat on Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
The main goal of this diet is to cut calories while still providing the body with complete nutrients. To achieve this the diet plan focuses on eating small portions of real food.
On the diet, foods high in protein and low in calories are emphasized. While you can still eat carbs, they have to be very low in calories
Expect to eat foods such as:
- Meats: Lean beef, lean turkey, lean poultry
- Fish: Tuna (canned in water), salmon
- Eggs: To be eaten in moderation
- Fruits: Melon, papaya, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, grapefruit, kiwi,
- Vegetables: Stick to non-starchy vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green beans,
- Whole grains:
- Healthy fats:
The diet also recommends these foods should be baked, broiled, or grilled but not fried. While you can drink tea, it has to be unsweetened, same goes for coffee.
Foods to avoid on the Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
- Sugar: This also includes, molasses, syrup, and honey.
- Sweets: Candy, donuts, ice creams, frozen yogurt, milkshakes, all types of flavored milk, puddings, jelly desserts, chocolate. dried fruits
- Potato chips, french fries, tater tots, mashed potatoes.
- Peanuts, peanut butter, almonds, almond butter, cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and their butter.
- White and brown rice
- Cereals of all kinds including oatmeal
- All types of fruit juices
- Sugary drinks, sports drinks, energy drinks,
- Meal replacement shakes or supplements
- High-calorie fruits such as watermelons and bananas.
Because the diet tries to keep the total calorie as low as possible. Snack options are limited to;
- Vegetable sticks
- Fresh fruit
How much weight will you lose by eating 1200-calories daily?
The general recommended calories for women is 2,000 calories while men are recommended to eat 2500 calories. With this in mind, you will lose weight eating 1200-calories a day.
How much you lose we’ll defend on how much you currently weigh. This is because the more you weight, the more you’ll lose once you get started and stick to the diet.
A study on the effects of a 1200-calorie diet on weight loss showed an average weight loss of 4.7% for the participants.
Conclusions on the Younan Nowzaradan diet plan
The Dr. Now diet is a medically supervised diet that is designed to help morbidly obese patients get in shape before and after surgery.
Even though very low in calories, the diet is designed t include all food groups except sugar so that participants get all their nutrients. Expect to eat lean cuts of meat with low-starchy vegetables.
At only 1200-calories a day the diet is not suitable for everyone. It requires a lot of determination and dedication for those willing to get started with the program.
For many of his formerly obese patients who have been able to lose weight, the diet was well worth and a good way to learn about healthy eating habits.